Friday, February 17, 2012

End of Unit 1 Blog


I can’t get over how surprised I am about the rough drafts and peer revision in this class.  It’s actually very helpful and I feel like I actually get useful feedback.  I wish that I could always have this chance to get a peer’s thoughts on my work.  It would be very useful in ENG 110 and I may very well start looking for people to read over my papers before I turn them in. 
            We have been doing a lot of peer editing and revising in class and I don’t feel like I have learned much since my last blog post, because we have not worked on any new material.  I learned from peer revision that I use a somewhat complicated vocabulary when I write even when I do not mean to.  I think this is just a non- English major’s point of view though.
            It was interesting to look at the genre of newspaper articles though.  I have never read newspaper articles on a regular basis and thus I really didn’t know what they were like.  It was an interesting activity to do, because all the genres my English classes deal with classic examples of literary canon.  The difference is very significant and it is a lot simpler to deal with newspaper articles. Newspaper articles are so short and are straight to the point, the amount of content that needs to be criticaly thought about is very small. 
           

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting when you say that you don't think you've learned anything since the last blog post because new material wasn't introduced. Yet, I bet you learned thing (yourself, individually) as you went about writing your article. I would like to see a bit more expansion on your thoughts in the next blog. How did you go about sitting down and writing this? Even if you didn't learn anything, what did you find surprising? Were there roadblocks, etc.? I"m glad that you enjoyed working with newspapers. While, yes, many English classes work solely with the "canon," I do think that is changing now, and I"m sure you'll take more classes here that move far from the classics which "should" be taught in classrooms.

    ReplyDelete